A 18 carat yellow gold bracelet, set with brilliant cut diamonds and rubies.French assay marks. Period 1960s. Weight 66 gram. Length 17,5 cm. This elegant piece of jewelry typifies the craftsmanship of the House of VAN CLEEF & ARPELS.
Van Cleef & Arpels (VCA) was founded in 1898 in Paris by Alfred van Cleef and Charles and Julian Arpels, his brothers-in-law. Eight years later they were already so succesful that they moved to the chique Place Vendôme. Within a few years shops were opened in resorts in France, frequented by the élite as well as in several cities abroad.VCA gained a well deserved reputation for fine quality jewellery as eell as innovation. They developed the technique of "invisble setting" enabling stones to be set without an indication of the setting. To appeal to the more casual lifestyle of the younger generation VCA developed in the 1950s the Boutique-concept; an example soon thereafter followed by many leading jewel houses. VCA is world-wide renowned as one of the finest jewellers in the world.